Friday 4 January 2013

Emotions

Isn't it funny how a sound or a sight can bring back memories of childhood. Last night at South Pacific that happened to me.

Now I can't recall when I saw the movie, but I know that I was young. I think I was born loving musicals. Doris Day movies were always a favourite of mine. Last night the haunting Bali Hai was what sent that knowledge of knowing I had seen this before. I knew all the songs and when Nellie sang I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair, I had the visions of it being sung. I had to look up to see who played that part in the movie as I was thinking it was Doris Day, but no another blonde Mitzi Gaynor. I guess that is where my brain over the years just remembered blonde and who actually sang it.

In the second half, Nellie played by Lisa McCune, came out in her brown uniform. While all the men were in khaki, she was in a brown uniform. For anyone that went to a catholic primary school in the 60's or early 70's, it was that brown. When she entered the stage I was momentarily transfixed by it and thinking 'it doesn't have green buttons'. They were the colour of what we use to wear - brown with big olive green buttons. I could feel the touch of that fabric in my hands.

I guess it was the old memories and the uniform, but I was sitting there as a child of seven or eight, watching with excitement. It was the strangest of feelings and I had to give myself a bit of a shake and to concentrate again on the show.

The show was fantastic. It certainly fulfilled the wish that I hadn't done last year of going to an opera and being moved by the singing. When Teddy Tahu Rhodes sang you couldn't help but react. My body just felt like it was welling up and ready to explode with emotion. Christine Anu was perfect for the role of Bloody Mary. Lisa McCune stood out as Nellie and Gyton Grantley was amusing in his role of Billis.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a cultural year for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment